Can my pay be changed without my employer telling me it changed?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my pay be changed without my employer telling me it changed?

I work for a small business with about 15 employees. My boss, changes employees rates often and has never told the employees about the change. I’m starting to get nervous that I’ll look at my paystub and see a cut in my pay as well. I’m wondering if it’s legal that she cut the pay and not say anything at all? I think it’s pretty sneaky myself but is it legal?

Asked on March 28, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Utah


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

An employer can tell an employee that effective immediately, there will be a change in their pay going forward. This assumes that there is no union agreement or employment contract to the contrary. Also, the change cannot be due to any form of legal discrimination. That having been said, the important thing is that before the change takes place, the employee must be notified so that they have a right to decline the change and, if necessary, quit. To notify an employee after the change, is illegal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption