Can my partner sell my home without my consent since he is soley on the deed of trust and we both are on the title of the home?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my partner sell my home without my consent since he is soley on the deed of trust and we both are on the title of the home?

Unmarried couple purchased home together. It is paid off. Partner is on the deed of trust and title. I’m only on the title. Can my partner that has the deed of trust sell the house or force sell it in an auction without my consent? I’m concerned he is trying to sell the house to lose money on it to prevent me from any money from the home.

Asked on August 14, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You need to find GOOD and UNBIASED legal help asap.  He can not transfer title without your signature so relax about that.  If he dissipates the asset you may have a case against him.  But there are a lot of issues here and proceeding first with a strong letter from an attorney may be the way to go.  The issue of the "loan" is key.  If there are no actual documents like a note it can be viewed as a gift.  How you want to proceed with that is your choice too.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption