Can my parents take my baby away since I’m underage?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my parents take my baby away since I’m underage?

I am currently 10 weeks and 5 days pregnant. I’m 16 years old my boyfriend is 19 and my parents knew we were dating. My mother told me if I ended up pregnant by him that she could force me to give my baby up because she has full custody of me and because of that she can choose what can happen with my baby. I am enraged because I do not think it is true. Can what she is saying to me happen? Also, can they call police on my boyfriend and deny that they new how old he was? Can I have people stand behind me who knew that my parents knew? I may be young but I know what’s right and her taking my baby just isn’t.

Asked on August 21, 2011 Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Please calm down.  You have to be worried about your health.  First let's start with the issue that he is 19 and you are 16.  Yes, your parents can indeed call the police and yes, he can be arrested for statutory rape and a whole host of other things.  It does not matter theta they knew.  It does not matter that you have witnesss that knew they knew.  It is a pretty cut and dry under the law.  Now for you and the baby: 

  • Under Illinois law pregnant teens are able to consent (give permission) to medical care throughout their pregnancy.

  • You can make medical decisions for yourself and for your baby once the baby is born.

  • While you can choose to go to a school specifically designed for pregnant teens, you have a right to continue to stay at your current school.

  • Once the baby is born, you have full parental rights for your child.

No one can force you to have an abortion or place the baby up for adoption.

Here is a site you need to look at:

Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption