Can my old landlord sue us because an old roommate of mine broke the lease but we continued to pay?

UPDATED: Apr 1, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 1, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my old landlord sue us because an old roommate of mine broke the lease but we continued to pay?

My wife and I rented an apartment and got a roommate a few months later. He was added to the lease and our rent did not increase. It stayed at the same amount. He moved out before the lease was up but we stayed and continued to pay the full rent until our lease was up and we moved out. Can our old landlord sue us for our old roommate breaking the lease? We stayed and paid all the rent on time and never got behind. We moved out only after our lease was up. Could the landlord possibly sue our old roommate for anything?

Asked on April 1, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It is always best to be able to read the lease agreement in question.  But I can ot imagine that the landlord has any legal basis to sue you or your room mate for the rent or anything else.  In fact I think that you have the right to sue the room mate for the portion of the rent that was his responsibility.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption