Can my now ex-girlfriend sue me for stolen property?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my now ex-girlfriend sue me for stolen property?

My now ex-girlfriend had moved in with my in my apartment and is not on the lease. She is now gone. She was living rent free and on my dime. She now wants her stuff back that she has relinquished when she left and I have claimed as my own liquid assets. I have given her everything with her name on it such as documents, etc. What she is asking for is material possessions such as clothing and shoes some of which I have bought. I told her she could retrieve anything she can provide a receipt for.

Asked on January 10, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If it is hers, she is entitled to it--period. You cannot claim her belongings. Even if you bought them for her, once you gave ("gifted") them to her, they belong to her: once you give something to another person, it is their property and you have no more right to it. So yes, she can sue you for her clothing, her shoes, and anything else she owned or which belonged to you which you have stolen--and that is the correct word for what you are doing--from her.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption