Can my mortgage company force me to get hazard insurance when i already have insurance

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my mortgage company force me to get hazard insurance when i already have insurance

We have had insurance on our house
since 1952. We cant get the
insurance company to fix our house
and now our mortgage compamy is
forcing hazard insurance on us
making our house payment increase.

Asked on November 3, 2016 under Insurance Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

They can do whatever the terms of the mortgage (which is a contract) say they can do--and they can't do anything where there is no authority for it under the mortgage. Review the mortgage and any other agreements that went with it (like a promissory note)--see what they say about insurance and the mortgagee's ability to require you to get this. If the documents/agreements give them the power to require this, they can.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption