Can my mom have me arrested for using her credit card with her permission?

UPDATED: Feb 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 16, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my mom have me arrested for using her credit card with her permission?

I used my mother’s credit card for $506 with her knowledge. Now she is mad at me and is claiming that I used it for more then she had agreed I could. Can she have me arrested?

Asked on February 16, 2012 under Criminal Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It is quite possible for your mother to submit a criminal report as to you with respect to the credit card that you used with her permission claiming that your use of it was not with her permission. Most likely if a criminal report is made as to the issue that you have written about, the district attorney's office will decline to file charges given the familial arrangement and the relatively small amount at issue.

I suggest that you start paying her back the amount charged sooner rather than later.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption