Can my manager make me pay cash back from register shortages.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my manager make me pay cash back from register shortages.

If my register was short under 1 or more
after a shift, my managers add it up and have
asked me to pay them back the debt
accumulated over several shifts. Keep in mind
they had no suspicion of me stealing and no
accounts of negligence. I do not remeber
signing anything that allowed them to do this. I
would understand them wanting me to pay
them back if I was short on a substanial
amount of money, but I only owe 35 over
multiple weeks of working and something about
this seems illegitimate to me.

Asked on April 30, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

They can ask you to pay. If you refuse to, their options are to:
1) Fire you (or anything less than firing, such suspending, demoting, etc.) if they choose to do so due ot the shortage, since unless you have a written employment contract guarantying your job or preventing your firing for this reason, you are an "employee at will" and may be terminated at any time, for any reason--including an unproven suspicion. (Employees at will have no rights to their jobs.)
2) Sue you for the money (e.g. in small claims court), where they'd have to prove you were responsible for the loss.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption