Can my brother hunt after his felony is cleared at age 18?

UPDATED: Nov 11, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 11, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my brother hunt after his felony is cleared at age 18?

He is 14 now and he asked our uncle, who owns the local hunting shop and he said he could, but when he told his probation officer about it she got a crabby and said no you can’t hunt until you are 25. His PO is not very nice and is always trying to upset my little brother. Is it really true he cannot hunt until he is 25? He didn’t even get a felony that had to deal with hunting or guns or anything he got a illegal entry felony. So can he hunt after his records are cleared?

Asked on November 11, 2013 under Criminal Law, Michigan


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Depending on if this is a general or specified felony, the wait time will depend on the length of the maximum sentence and can be quite long.  However, the rules may change for youthful felons. So you and your family may wish to consult with an attorney in your state who specializes in firearm rights restoration and see if this is an automatic time period or if your brother will need to petition the court to restore his rights.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption