Can my license be revoked for allowing someone else to drive my car they have an accident?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my license be revoked for allowing someone else to drive my car they have an accident?

My uninsured car was
involved in an accident,
although I don’t know who
was driving, I gave my
permission to drive it.
At a BBQ I threw my keys on
the table and said ‘I’ll buy
if someone flies’, then
walked away…I didn’t see
who grabbed the keys.
Under California law, can my
license be revoked because
of this?

Thank You,

Asked on March 1, 2017 under General Practice, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Since you are the registered owner of the vehicle, you are liable for the accident.
Since the vehicle was uninsured, the CA Department of Motor Vehicles can suspend or revoke your license until you provide proof of insurance.  The DMV can cancel your current vehicle registration and refuse to allow you to renew it until you provide proof of insurance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption