Can my landlord state in my lease that tenants have to shovel the main building entry?

UPDATED: Feb 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my landlord state in my lease that tenants have to shovel the main building entry?

My lease for an apartment states that tenants are respobsible for clearing snow from the entraces and landlord is ressponsible for plowing the parking area only. Can’t find any laws about snow removal. Are there any? The landlord plows the parking area only.

Asked on February 12, 2012 under Real Estate Law, New Hampshire


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Yes, this is perfectly legal. While ordinarily, in the absence of any lease language to the contrary, the landlord would typically be responsible for this, the law allows parties to contract to shift costs and responsibility. A lease is a contract; if the tenant therefore signs a lease stating that tenants are responsible for removing snow from entrances, that term of the lease is legal and would be enforceable.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption