Can my landlord evict me because I don’t want to sign a new lease with a real estate agency?

UPDATED: Jan 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my landlord evict me because I don’t want to sign a new lease with a real estate agency?

We don’t want to sign a new lease or deal with a new company since our lease is up in 6 months. Can a real estate company represent the landlord without the tenants agreeing?

Asked on January 12, 2012 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

1) While the current lease is still in force, you can't be evicted unless you violate its terms in some way (including by nonpayment), or do certain other clearly wrong acts, like deliberately damaging the landlord's  property, disturbing the quiet enjoyment of other tenants after notice (or warning) to stop, etc.

2) The landlord may hire or employ any person or business, including a real estate company, to act as his property manager or agent; he does not need tenant agreement.

3) When the current lease if up, the landlord could have you sign the next lease with the real estate company and evict you if you do not.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption