Can my landlord evict me for not paying my electic bill?

UPDATED: Jul 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 15, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my landlord evict me for not paying my electic bill?

My landlord has given me a notice to vacate the unit because I was unable to pay my electic bill due a recent job loss.

Asked on July 15, 2012 under Real Estate Law, North Dakota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If your presumed written lease requires that you pay for your own electricity as part of your monthly rent and you fail to do so, then under the laws of all states in this country there is a material breach of your rental agreement with your landlord allowing the landlord to serve you with a three (3) day notice to cure or quit and/or a thirty (30) day notice of termination.

I suggest that you discuss this issue with your landlord as soon as possible with your landlord to that this issue does not spiral out of control for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption