Can my landlord come into my house whenever she wants without any notification?

UPDATED: Oct 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 19, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my landlord come into my house whenever she wants without any notification?

There are no emergencies and it doesn’t say anything about that in the lease. No calls, no emailds nothing. She has done it at least 3 times in 4 months.

Asked on October 19, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


Catherine Blackburn / Blackburn Law Firm

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Florida law does not give your landlord the right to enter your house whenever she wants.  Unless the lease gives your landlord some right to enter your property, you have the exclusive use of that property.

It sounds like your landlord's actions fall within "unlawful entry," governed by Florida Statutes Chapter 82.  They may also constitute criminal trespass or burglary.

I suggest that you send a trespass notice to your landlord (you can find a form by searching for "trespass notice in florida") and then call the police if she does it again.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption