Can my landlord charge me a $100 a day late fee on my $679 a month rent?

UPDATED: Jan 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my landlord charge me a $100 a day late fee on my $679 a month rent?

My apartment complex charged me a $200 fee for being 2 days late on my rent. Is it legal to charge such an excessive late fee?

Asked on January 30, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Most statutes have statutes setting the maximum amount that one can be charged a late fee for rent, typically a percentage of the monthly rent such as 10%.

If your rent is $679, then under your state's statutes perhaps the maximum amount allowed to be legally charged is $67.90. I suggest that you might want to call a landlord tenant attorney about the seemingly excessive rent being charged you for a late fee to see if the $200 amount is in compliance with your state's laws or not.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption