Can my juvenile record be used against me as an adult?

UPDATED: Feb 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 22, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my juvenile record be used against me as an adult?

I had to sign a wavier for a back round check for my daughters school so that i can go on her field trips. I was told that I was denied since I had a charge of position of a illegal substance back 7 years ago when I was 16 years of age; I am now 24 years. Can this be held against me?

Asked on February 22, 2012 under Criminal Law, Colorado


Kelly Broadbent / Broadbent & Taylor

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In Massachusetts, a juvenile record is sealed, which means that only law enforcement or court agencies should be able to see any charges.  A 16 year old in Massachusetts is considered a juvenile, and so this charge should not be available.  I would recommend obtaining a copy of your criminal record.  If you were in fact 17, it would not be sealed, but you may be able to petition the court where the charge occurred to seal the charge so that it does not hurt you in the future.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption