Can my job charge me for a copy of my W2?

UPDATED: Mar 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 27, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my job charge me for a copy of my W2?

I asked my job to mail me a copy of my W2 and they said they could but it would cost me like $50. Can they do that?

Asked on March 27, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Virginia


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

No they cannot do that. Your work must give you the W2 free of charge because this is what you are required to produce to file your state and federal taxes. At this point, you should immediately contact the Department of Labor in your state as well as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and file complaints (you should be protected under Whistleblower statutes) indicating you would be charged for the W2. Be quick about it since taxes are due soon. You should probably inform the IRS of this dilemna and see if this can be helped by their injection into this problem.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption