Can my husband who I have been not legally separated ask request my tax forms with court order?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my husband who I have been not legally separated ask request my tax forms with court order?

My husband and I have been separated for
3 years and for the last 2 he has asked
me for tax return. He resently asked
again and I dont know for what he is
using it for and I declined. He came
back at my with if you dont give them to
me nicely it will be by force and he
will get an order from a judge since we
are still married. Can he do that is
there any way I can stop him? We live in
California and he is military.

Asked on May 11, 2018 under Family Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

He can get a court order for this material if there is a court case pending in which the information may be relevant (e.g. he files for divorce, in which case each spouse's income and assets are relevant to support and the division of property) and he applies for the order in that court case. Courts can order the release or production of relevant information in cases before them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption