Can my husband of almost 20 years keep me out a bank account?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my husband of almost 20 years keep me out a bank account?

I have always had access to banking, although he would never put my name on account, I’ve paid bills, even wrote checks and signed his name more than he did with his knowledge over the past 21 years, and now he left during the middle of the night, without any means to provide and support my minor child. I have been a stay at house homemaker, at his urgency to leave a career. He told me if I write a check for even groceries he will shut the account down and I will have nothing, which I already have nothing due to him refusing to provide. Nothing is in my

name, I’m just trying to provide, seek and gain employment that he is knowingly prevented me from doing. Is this allowed, and if I write a check knowing how much is in the bank, without jeopardizing said account can he have me arrested. Legally married and biological minor child is his.

Asked on October 7, 2017 under Family Law, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You need to seek legal help as soon as you possibly can.  The funds in that account were earned during the marriage and are marital funds subject to equitable distribution in a divorce.  So they are half yours.  You will need to speak with an attorney about filing for divorce, changing the locks, filing for temproary support for you and for your child and discuss rehabilitative alimony for the futire.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption