can my husband leave without paying rent

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can my husband leave without paying rent

My husband abandoned me and is refusing to pay
the rent our lease was up last month and we are on
a month to month basis I cannot afford to pay it

Asked on May 25, 2018 under Family Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you file for divorce, the family court could issue an order requiring him to pay all or at least part of the rent. You could even proceed on an "emergent" or urgent basis to get into court and get a court order faster. Only family court in the context of a divorce can order him to pay rent (or other support) to you. Note that you landlord does not need to give you any consideration for your husband leaving: if the rent is not paid, you may be evicted. You should speak to a matrimonial or family law attorney right away, about filing a divorce case and seeking support.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption