Can my husband force me to leave the home?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my husband force me to leave the home?

The home is in his name only. I was with him
when we purchased it. He bought it in August
just before we married. We moved in in
September. I’ve paid bills and expenses and
invested in the home. Can he force me to leave
before a judge orders since it is in his name?

Asked on January 17, 2017 under Family Law, Oklahoma


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Unless and until a formal separation agreement is filed or a final decree of divorce is awrdes that addresses who has the rights to possession and/or ownership, the house remains the "marital residence" (this is true no matter whose name the title is in). What this means is that the both of you have the continuing right to live there. Your husband has no legal right to put you out and if he attempts to, you can take legal action against him. At this point, you should consult directly with a local divorce attorney for further advice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption