Can my husband be put in collections for his son’s medical bill if his ex-wife took him to the hospital?

UPDATED: Oct 25, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 25, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my husband be put in collections for his son’s medical bill if his ex-wife took him to the hospital?

My husband’s ex-wife took their son to the hospital. She did not pay the copay and now the bill has appeared on my husband’s credit. My husband carries his son on his insurance but did not sign anything agreeing to pay the bill nor did we receive any bills. The hospital is telling my husband that it doesn’t matter if he signed or not that both parents are responsible under FL law. Does this law exist because I can’t find anything about it?

Asked on October 25, 2010 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

The law that the hospital may be referring to may not be one that will pop up under topics you may be researching.  It is the universallaw that requires parents to be responsible for the care of their children until they are 18, unless their parental rights have been in some way terminated or limited.  He does not have to sign an agreement with anyone.  If you think that the obligation to pay was his ex-wife's (and you re supported by their settlement agreement or the order of the court) then he has a right to sue her for the money should he choose to pay it or to sue her to comply with the agreement and pay the bill. He can dispute the charge with the credit reporting agency in the mean time.  You may want to have someone look at the terms of the divorce here.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption