Can my husband and/or his girlfriend sue me for slander or defamation of character?

UPDATED: Jul 24, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 24, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my husband and/or his girlfriend sue me for slander or defamation of character?

When Ifound out my husband had snuck his girlfriend into our home (which is both our names) I went in and caught them in the act of adultry. I took photos for the divorce, then I posted them on-line for our friends and family to see.

Asked on July 24, 2011 Georgia


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Slander is a form of defamation; slander is verbal. Libel is written defamation. There are always exceptions to any accusation of defamation and one of them is the truth. So, if you posted pictures online of your husband in the act of adultery, keep in mind that if he indeed was committing adultery, the defamation suit if any won't stick. However, he may have an invasion of privacy and she may have an invasion of privacy claim that might stick. Further, keep in mind that your posted pictures may have the impact of ending his employment and if so, there goes your chance of any alimony or support payments. Any online activity is considered public usually but acts in the home may not be and so while they may not win a lawsuit for defamation, they could obtain a judgment against you for invasion of privacy, for pornographic type shots (if let's say she didn't have any clothes on and you took her photo) and other torts like intentional infliction of emotional distress. This is in no way should take away from what they did to you and you may wish to look into whether your state has any precedent cases concerning lawsuits against mistresses for breaking up marriages.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption