Can my hospital refuse to pay me for time spent on compencies?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my hospital refuse to pay me for time spent on compencies?

Certain competencies are required to be completed each year,
ideally at work. But patient load has been so heavy, these
competencies are difficult to do at work. Our organization is
refusing to pay us if these are done at home and threatening
disciplinary action if not completed by a certain time. Many
people have already completed these competencies at home
without pay for fear of consequences. I live in New Mexico.

Asked on June 29, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, New Mexico


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

There is no legal requirement for any employer to pay you for any aspect of "continuing professional education" or "professional development" or licensing requirements, etc. These are for the employee's benefit, so they are still able to work in their field, and so are similar to getting a college or graduate degree. The employer could choose to pay you for getting them, but could also choose to not pay; or, as here, could choose to pay under certain circumstances, but not others.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption