Can my grandpa changed his Will without telling his power of attorney?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my grandpa changed his Will without telling his power of attorney?

My grandpa appointed my mom his power of attorney. I believe it was somewhat pushed on him. My mom has been financially abusing the privilege. Grandpa has always, and is still is, of sound mind and wants to speak to a legal representative. Who should I get in touch with to help him adjust his Will, etc.?

Asked on February 1, 2019 under Estate Planning, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The person given authority bv a power of attorney (note: the POA is the document; the person given power is called either the "agent" or the "attorney-in-fact") has NO say whatsoever over her principal's (the person giving her the POA) will. Your grandfather can change his will at will and does not have to disclose this fact to your mother. A trusts and estates lawyer can help him change his will.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption