Can my grandmother give me her house and then I get a home equity loan to pay her back?

UPDATED: Oct 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 21, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my grandmother give me her house and then I get a home equity loan to pay her back?

Instead of doing a conventional mortgage?

Asked on October 21, 2012 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you and your grandmother have an understanding where the home is transferred into your name and you then get a home equity loan to pay her for it, such is fine so long as it is memorialized in writing before the transfer.

Rather than doing what you suggest, why don't you have a buy sell agreement with your grandmother where she carries back the purchase price memorialized in a promissory note and secured by a trust deed. You can then pay her over time on a monthly basis or simply get a loan on the property to pay her off sooner. I suggest that she and you consult with a real estate attorney about this proposal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption