Can my father keep me on his insurance plan without my knowledge or consent?

UPDATED: Jul 31, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 31, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my father keep me on his insurance plan without my knowledge or consent?

I got married about 3 1/2 years ago and was added to my husband’s insurance plan soon afterward. I am just now finding out that contrary to what he told me, my estranged father has kept me on his insurance plan as a beneficiary and now my husband’s plan will no longer continue to extend me primary coverage. I have contacted my father’s plan manager and they have told me that I am not allowed to drop myself off of the plan. How is it legal for me to remain on someone else’s insurance plan against my will, especially when I already have other insurance?

Asked on July 31, 2014 under Insurance Law, Missouri


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I can see that this could be very frustrating for you.  But the other plan is correct: only your Father can add or drop you. And your husband's plan becomes secondary coverage.  If you are 26 or under a parent can put you on their plan even if you are married.  If your Father will not drop you then try and use the matter to your advantage by calling the company and having all the information as to coverage sent to you.  Once you are 26 the plan should drop you. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption