Can my ex-wife get an increase in alimony from me if I decide to cohabitate with another woman?

UPDATED: Jul 4, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 4, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my ex-wife get an increase in alimony from me if I decide to cohabitate with another woman?

Asked on July 4, 2015 under Family Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

It's possible but unlikely. In order for an increase in alimony to be granted typically it must be shown that there has been a change in circumstances sufficient to justify a change in support; that is a substantial change in circumstances. Your ex-wife would have to show that the amount of alimony awarded her initially, was insufficient to meet her needs at that time; not that she just wants more based on what she thinks you have now. Bottom line, she can't come after you solely because you've found someone else.

Further state law and/or the wording in the alimony agreement itself may limit what she can ask for. At this point, you can consult directly with an attorney in your area. After revieweing all of the information regarding your situation, they wil be in the best position to advise you further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption