Can my ex force me into a trade thatI don’t like, simplyso that Ican keep paying high alimony?

UPDATED: Apr 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my ex force me into a trade thatI don’t like, simplyso that Ican keep paying high alimony?

I enjoy farming cattle. I don’t make a lot of money but it’s the only thing I enjoy to make a living (it’s in my blood). I can do electrical work but the economy has all construction work at a low. My ex wants to make me keep trying to work 2 jobs to keep paying her, her high alimony. I want to get lowered due to the lack of work.

Asked on April 8, 2011 under Family Law, Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

This is really a loaded question.  You can not refuse to work at a job to avoid paying alimony.  But, if your employment situation has changed due to very valid reasons - the job market, your being let go, the economy in general - and through no fault of your own then you need to go to court to ask for a modification of the alimony agreement.  If you can prove that you can be gainfully employed but in a different profession that does not pay as much, then I think that it is a positive thing not a negative thing in your favor.  I would consult with an attorney in your area as your agreement needs to be revewed as well. Good luck to you..

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption