Can my ex-spouse ask for alimony 16 years after our divorce?

UPDATED: Aug 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my ex-spouse ask for alimony 16 years after our divorce?

We were separated 18 years ago; we had 3 children together. I was ordered to pay child support and temporary alimony during our separation. In the final divorce judgement I was ordered to pay child support but the alimony was dropped. We both did not waive the right for future alimony. My ex-spouse remarried a few years later and that ended in divorce after a few years after that. In a recent court appearance my ex-spouse inquired to the judge about alimony but he needed to see the final divorce paper.

Asked on August 19, 2011 New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Yes, your former spouse after a period of 16 years post your divorce can ask for alimony from you. However from what you have written coupled with the fact that she remarried, the chances of her getting any alimony from you after all this time seems very remote.

I suggest that if you have any more concerns that you consult with a family law lawyer on the subject.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption