Can my ex-husband rent the marital house still in both names without my consent?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my ex-husband rent the marital house still in both names without my consent?

My ex and I have been divorced for 10 years. He refuses to refinance to take my name off of the house. I am fortunate enough to have a retirement that I paid for my current house out of. The house needs work and has equity, I tried taking out a home equity loan to fix everything and pay off some high interest bills. I cant take that loan out because of the debt to income ratio. My ex is now renting the house with my name on it and living out of country. Is there anything I can do? The divorce paperwork says he is liable for that house and when he was trying to refinance several years ago, I had to sign a quick claim deed in order for him to refinance. The refinance fell through.

Asked on October 3, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

So the key here is your stipulation of settlement.  It is a contract and the terms govern your actions.  If he was supposed to refinance and did not then it is a breach of that contract and you can sue to rescind that portion or how ever your state laws on contracts will allow. If the agreement has a provision that deals with what happens if he does not refinance then all the better.  But there is ALWAYS something you can do.  Although signing over the quit claim may not have been the perfect option there could be the argumant that it was necessary since it helped you comply with the agreement.  It is not your fault it fell through and it does not relieve him of his rights.  Keep looking for a lawyer to help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption