Can my ex-husband take my house back?

UPDATED: Jul 19, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 19, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my ex-husband take my house back?

The divorce was final 4 years ago and I was ordered to get the house out of his name into my name within 6 months. However, he never would sign a quick claim deed. So Ihave left the house in both of our names because I haven’t had the money to take him back to court.

Asked on July 19, 2010 under Family Law, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

It is doubtful that the court will take such drastic measures as to give him back half the house after it was awarded to you.  But you could get in to trouble as you are in contempt of the court order.  I would also worry that he has an asset to place liens on and use for collateral (although your name being on the deed as well should give lender cause to pause you never know these days). If you do not have the money would you be able to qualify for legal aid?  How about calling your local Bar Association and ask if they have a volunteer lawyers project or a prop bono department and asking for help.  Women's organizations can also help.  At the very lease send him a certified letter advising that you wish him to sign the house over as ordered immediately or you will seek the help of the Court.  It will start the ball rolling.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption