Can my ex-husband take me to court for issues regarding our children when the decree states thatI have the final decision?

UPDATED: Aug 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 27, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my ex-husband take me to court for issues regarding our children when the decree states thatI have the final decision?

My divorce decree states that neither party shall have non-relative overnight guests of the opposite sex at times when the child is in the residence at the party’s home. My ex-husband is threatening to take me to court if my fiance stays at my house. My decree also states that if we cannot agree on any given matter affecting the minor children that I the mother will have the final decision in any and all matters affecting the minor children. Would I be in contempt of court if my fiance was to stay overnight even if my decree states that if we do not agree I can make the final decision?

Asked on August 27, 2011 Oklahoma


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Here is the thing: one needs to read the agreement in its totality here in order to give you any guidance on the matter.  Although I am sure that you have quoted the sections properly, I get the sneaking suspicion that they mean other than you think as a whole.  Generally speaking, the last section that you quoted in interpreted to mean the issues that directly effect the children.   Things like what school they may go to or even possibly medical treatment to give them (that could be covered differently).  The issue with regard to non-relatives I think is quite clear here and he may have a really good chance of making your life miserable because of it.  Once you are married it will not be an issue - he will not be a non-relative - but for now, I would not have him stay until you have the agreement read and interpreted under your state law.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption