Can my ex-husband’s attorney subpoena the man that I live with for his bank statements and receipts to stop alimony payments?

UPDATED: Jun 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my ex-husband’s attorney subpoena the man that I live with for his bank statements and receipts to stop alimony payments?

I have been living with a man for 3 years. Can my ex-husband subpoena him for his disposition? My friend got a subpoena from my ex’s attorney for all his bank statements and receipts for everything in the past 3 years. There are only signatures from the attorneys with no seal. Is this legal? Can he be held in contempt of court if he don’t appear or send documents?

Asked on June 10, 2012 under Family Law, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

He is trying to prove co habitation and an intertwining perhaps of the finances between you to allow for a termiantion or reduction of support. Under Illinois statute 750 ILCS 5/510(c) it says that "Unless otherwise agreed by the parties in a written agreement set forth in the Judgment or otherwise approved by the court, the obligation to pay future maintenance is terminated...if the party receiving maintenance cohabits with another person on a resident, continuing conjugal basis."  I would have an attorney review the subpoena as one would have to see it to note its validitiy.  In many states attorneys are permitted to sign a subpoena.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption