Can my employer terminate me after 10 years of service with no notice and no write-ups in my file?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my employer terminate me after 10 years of service with no notice and no write-ups in my file?

Around the holidays my store manager went out on sick leave and told me that they would pay me salary for keeping up with the store. I put in some extra hours thinking I would get salary that never happened. My store manager never came back. I got a new store manager last month. One of the employees was terminated recently and being bitter he called the HR dept and stated that I worked off the clock around the holidays. I was terminated with no notice or write-up.

Asked on March 21, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The fact is that most employment relationships are "at will". This means that, an employer can terminate an employee for any reason or no reason at at all, with or without notice. This is true unless the employee's dismissal constitutes some form of legal discrimination or violates the terms of a union agreement or employment contract. Otherwise, an employer is free to set the conditions of work much as it sees fit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption