Can my employer take money from me for a car accident with a leased car?

UPDATED: Oct 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 11, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my employer take money from me for a car accident with a leased car?

I’m a soccer coach and this summer I was doing a soccer camp and had an accident. I was driving on a dirt road under the speed limit; I was not using my cell and was not under the influence of any substance. I turned a corner and the gravel gave way the the car spun off the road and hit a tree. My company had come to me and said that I need to pay $500 excess on their insurance. We signed a car user agreement that says I must pay 20% for damages due to negligence on my part. But I believe I was driving with due care and attention and even though no one else was involved this was not my fault. Am I liable here?

Asked on October 11, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

1) As a general matter, if an employee causes damage to his employer's vehicle (or rented vehicle), the employer may seek to recover their out of pocket losses (e.g. anything not covered by insurance) from the employer. To do so, if the employee chooses to not pay voluntarily, the employer would have to sue him or her in court and win by proving their case (e.g. there was negligence). People are only typically responsible financially if they acted negligently (carelessly) or intentionally badly.

2) If there is an agreement as to who will pay in the event of some loss or damage, that agreement should be enforceable as per its terms.

3) There is no way to say, from what you write whether you were negligent or not--for example, even if  you were under the speed limit, it's possible you were driving too fast for conditions (turning on gravel).

4) Basically, your options are a) pay the money the company request; or b) don't pay, and if they sue you, defend either on the basis you were not negligent or that under the contract, you feel you owe a lesser amount. Since that will take time and could cost money (e.g. if you hire an attorney), you need to think about whether fighting the claim is in your best interest.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption