Can my employer shave time off of my time clock?

UPDATED: Jun 6, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 6, 2016Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my employer shave time off of my time clock?

Also, no more cell phones. If we are seen on our cell phone other, than for emergencies, we will be docked 15 minutes on the time clock. If he does that. I would make under minimum wage for that hour I still worked.

Asked on June 6, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, your employer cannot shave time off your time clock--for any reason. The labor laws, such as the Fair Labor Standards Act, require employees to be paid for *all* time worked and require accurate time records. If you employer does this, you can contact the state department of labor to file a wage complaint and seek the money you should have been paid, but were not.
What an employer can do is suspend, reduce hours or pay of, demote, or simply fire any employee who uses a cell phone for non-emergency purposes during work hours--since all employment is employment at wil, that is perfectly legal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption