Can my employer offer me a job but then they never change my title or pay?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my employer offer me a job but then they never change my title or pay?

About 10 months ago, I was offered a new position which I was told was a title change. At the time of the offer, no one could tell me if it was a pay increase. I began the position which included much greater responsibilities than the previous position. For some background, the previous title does not exist at my office anymore. That title is exclusive to corporate. About 6 months ago, it was confirmed that it was indeed a pay raise. I have been promised several times that it’s

Asked on September 17, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Unless you have been guaranteed a specific raise in writing, a mere promise of an increase in pay is not legally enforceable. The fact is that a company can set the conditions of employment much as it sees fit (absent some form of legally actionable discrimination). Accordingly, an employer can decide if and when to give a worker a pay raise. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption