Can my employer of over 7 years put me on a

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my employer of over 7 years put me on a

After I went out for major back surgery, my employer of over 7 years stopped my medical coverage in the middle of my recovery. How can they be allowed to do this? I had been paying for my insurance all year long. Now I’m stuck with the incredibly expensive recovery and therapy which is necessary for me to heal properly.

Asked on November 25, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you are not working and are on indefinte or extended leave, your employer is entitled to have you pay the full cost of the insurance--the employer does not need to keep paying the employer portion of the insurance for an employee who is not working and will not be back for awhile (and possibly not ever, depending on how the recovery goes). But they could not simply cancel the insurance: they had to give you the option to pay the employer share, just as if you'd been terminated, you would have had the opportunity to pay to continue your coverage under COBRA. Not allowing you the opportunity to continue your coverage appears to be what they did wrong here. Try contracting the state department of labor; they may be able to help you in this circumstance, or else direct you to a government agency which can. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption