Can my employer make me pay $500 for accidentally backing into an ice cream business sign?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my employer make me pay $500 for accidentally backing into an ice cream business sign?

I accidentally backed into an ice cream shop sign while driving a company vehicle on the job. I was not impaired in any way, there was no police report filed and my company agreed to fix the sign since it was their employee in a company vehicle that damaged it. My company states in their employee handbook that the employee will be responsible for up to $1000 in wage reductions for damage to a company vehicle or equipment. They have sent me a form asking for my consent to deduct $500 from my wages to cover the cost of the sign. As per state code, $4113.19 from my understanding protects me from that. I’m not completely sure though because it was not company property that was damaged. I was told the $500 they want to deduct from my wages is for the insurance deductible. There have been multiple incidents I have witnessed where other employees have not been asked to pay the $500 deductible. I have also been told by a laborers union EEO officer that it is against the law for employees to pay the employer’s insurance deductible.

Asked on June 28, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The union officer you spoke to is incorrect. Whenever anyone, including an employee, negligently or carelessly has an accident (and backing into something is careless) and costs another person or business money, they are liable for the loss or cost they caused. While they cannot withhold from pay without consent, they could do one or both of suing you for the money or terminating you for causing them a loss and refusing to pay, subject only to any protections you have from the terms of a union agreement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption