Can my employer legitimately terminate me if it for having heat exhaustion during training in the summer months?

UPDATED: Aug 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my employer legitimately terminate me if it for having heat exhaustion during training in the summer months?

I have had heat exhaustion 2 times during training for work but only during our summer training. We conduct training bi-annually and the only time I have an issue is then. We are in a temperature controlled environment for our normal work duties, are only exposed to the heat for a limited amount of time and always have air conditioning available. I perform daily work activities with no issues and have been for over 4 years.

Asked on August 5, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, if you do not have an employment contract, you are an employee at will, and may be terminated at any time, for any reason, without notice, and even if there were no prior problems. So without a contract, it appears your employer may terminate you for this reason.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption