What would I need to do to take action against my employer for harrassment?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What would I need to do to take action against my employer for harrassment?

I recently was arrested and my employer did some things I don’t agree with, things that make it embarrassing to be back in the workplace. He printed out my mugshot framed and hung it in the workplace. Then gave a speech about my character talking about me as a mother to other employees and parading around my mugshot on his phone to all

employees. I’m embarrassed to the point of depression. I just want to know what I should do next?

Asked on April 3, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If he stated any factual assertions or claims--not opinions; untrue facts--which hurt your reputation, you may be able to sue for defamation (e.g, slander). But if he only stated true things about you or his opinions, that is not defamation. And if he did not defame you, you most likely have no claim, because an employer is allowed to be disrespectful or insensitive too, harass, or make fun of an employee. There is also no law against displaying your mugshot.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption