Can my employer force me to relocate my work location?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my employer force me to relocate my work location?

I have been working for my current employer for 3 1/2 years and was hired to work at a location that is 73 miles away from their headquarters because they wanted a person who lived locally to fill the position. A restructuring initiative was announced and there is a high probability that I will be required to begin reporting to the corporate headquarters which would add 3-4 hours of drive time between 2

different time zones. I am a single mother of a young child and cannot relocate nor can I add 3-4 hours of driving onto my daily schedule. Can they force me to report to the headquarters or voluntarily terminate or will they be required to offer a different position in my current geographic location?

Asked on February 3, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Indiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Unless you have an employment contract or union agreement that provides you protection against such a relocation, then you are an "at will" worker. This means that, absent legally actionable discrimination, your company can set the conditions of your employment much as it sees fit. This includes your relocation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption