Can my employer force me to choose Direct Deposit or Prepaid Card?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my employer force me to choose Direct Deposit or Prepaid Card?

My employer has recently provided us with forms to sign up for either direct deposit or prepaid debit cards. Until now we always received paper checks. The terms of the direct deposit are unacceptable to me, as they allow the payroll company to withdraw money from my account for reasons beyond my control. I also do not want a prepaid card due to the fees they charge. I was told I had to pick one or the other. I live and work in Missouri which has no regulations on these types of payment. Only the definition of wage ‘Legal tender or check convertible to legal tender.’ Can I request a paper check or will I be forced to choose their options?

Asked on September 21, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You have to choose between their offers: there is no law requiring employers to make payment by paper checks and, in fact, paper checks are increasingly becoming rare--it's not unlikely that in the near future, almost all legitimate businesses will make payment by one form or another of electronic transfer. Unfortunately, it is 100% up to the employer, not the employee, how to pay them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption