Can my employer file for change of status from l2 EAD to L1 while my husband’s l1-H1COS is approved?

UPDATED: Jun 20, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 20, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my employer file for change of status from l2 EAD to L1 while my husband’s l1-H1COS is approved?

I have worked for the same employer overseas for 1 year in last 3 years.

Asked on June 20, 2013 under Immigration Law, California


Harun Kazmi / Kazmi and Sakata Attorneys at Law

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

On the approval/start date of the change of status, you are no longer an L2. You must change your status to the L1, H1b or leave the US. If there is still time, you should change your status if you qualify before the effective date of your husband's H1b.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption