Can my employer deny me holiday pay for Easter based on the fact I called out on account of injury earlier in the week?

UPDATED: Mar 27, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 27, 2016Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my employer deny me holiday pay for Easter based on the fact I called out on account of injury earlier in the week?


Asked on March 27, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Nevada


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Does company policy or the terms of a union agreement or employment contract guarantee this pay? Is you not being paid due to some form of legal discrimination? If not, then your employer is within its rights not to give it to you. The reason is that most work relationships are "at will". This means that a company can set the conditions of work much as it sees fit. This includes whether or not to pay extra for holidays. The fact is that such pay in not legally mandated so it is up to an employer's discretion whether or not such compensation will be given.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption