Can my employer decuct pay for a time card being late?

UPDATED: May 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my employer decuct pay for a time card being late?

My boss put up a flyer saying that if your time card isn’t in my 3:30 Friday, you will face a pay reduction. Is he allowed to do that?

Asked on May 22, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


James Walcheske / Walcheske & Luzi, LLC

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Generally speaking, an employer is free to devise and enforce whatever rules, policies, etc., it wants in the workplace, so long as they don't violate any laws in how they are applied. Thus, it would likely be okay for the employer to have a policy that timecards must be submitted by 3:30 on Fridays. It would likely also be okay if the employer somehow disciplined an employee for failing to submit the card by 3:30 on Fridays.  However, an employee must be paid for all time worked.  If your employer is reducing your pay, and thereby not paying you for all time worked, as a penalty for not submitting the timecard on time, that is likely unlawful.

While I am honestly not overly familiar with Michigan administrative process, it appears you can submit a wage complaint for unpaid wages through the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs. A form can be found online at

Hope that helped.


James A. Walcheske

Walcheske & Luzi

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption