Can my employer be held responsible for damages to my car during work hours?

UPDATED: Mar 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 8, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my employer be held responsible for damages to my car during work hours?

My car was involved in a hit and run while parked in my employer’s parking lot. My employer has security cameras and a security guard but conveniently, the security cameras were turned off. I know it has to be someone I work with that hit my car but it seems to be a dead end in tracking them down. Can my employer be held responsible for anything in this situation?

Asked on March 8, 2012 under Accident Law, Nevada


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Your employer is not your insurer; it is not responsible for injuries or property damage suffered by its employees unless the employer is at fault in causing the injury or damage. So unless you can show that it was a co-worker, for example, who hit your car while on company business, then there would seem to be no way to hold your employer liable. The employer is simply not responsible for the bad act of some third party.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption