Can my dad be held responsible for my debt?

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my dad be held responsible for my debt?

I am a Jr. I believe that us having the same name has become an issue. What can I do to prevent further damage to him? (he informed me his credit score/rating has recently declined significantly. Where can I seek advice for us both. Finances are a major problem so I would need pro bono assistance. I have contacted DHS but have not received assistance.

Asked on August 1, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Legally, your father cannot be held liable for your debt--you are two different people--unless, that is, you are a minor (less than 18); in some circumstances, a parent can be liable for a minor child's obligations.

If you are not a minor, though, legally, your father is not responsible. It is an error when someone does try to hold him liable--they are mixing him up with you. To help him, provide documentation to any credit rating agencies and/or creditors that you, not he, are the responsible party.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption