Can my children and I move out of state without mu husband?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my children and I move out of state without mu husband?

I left my ex-husband because he was abusing me and having an affair. I pressed charges on him. I am planning on moving out of state with my 2 children. My oldest child is not biologically his. We haven’t went to court about anything stating I can’t leave or take my child who is biologically his.

Asked on March 26, 2016 under Family Law, Mississippi


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

First of all, you didn't indicate if he had adopted your other children, since you did not mention it I will assume that he did not. At this point you can take all of your children out-of-state as long since there is no judicial order in affect regarding custody. However, your husband can go to court and obtain an order which will require you to return to the state, with at least his child. If at that point you don't return, you can be charged with parental kidnapping. The safest way for you to obtain legal custody is for you to go to get to court first. If you get a temporary custody order, a permanent order will be issued when your divorce is finalized. In deciding whether or not you can then move out-of-state, the court will consider the bests interests of the child in making its decision.  
You should be aware that you could file for custody once you re-establish residency your parents' state (typically 6 months) but in the meantime your husband could file and, as already noted above, you could be required to return.
At this point, you should consult directly with a local divorce attorney; they can best advise you further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption